- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 2 pounds collard greens
- 8 ounces bacon, or ham, diced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium or unsalted chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 large dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fill the sink with cold water. Wash the collard greens in 3 to 4 changes of water, until there is absolutely no grit on the bottom of the sink. Cut thick stems out of the greens and chop the leaves or cut them crosswise into strips.
- If using bacon, sauté until cooked through but not crisp in a large skillet. Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Add the chopped onion to the skillet and cook until soft.
- Combine the beans, bacon, onions, garlic, chicken stock, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes in the slow cooker. The liquid should cover the top of the beans.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Open the lid and add the greens. Return the lid and cook for one more hour.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
Recipe originally from https://www.thespruceeats.com/crock-pot-black-eyed-peas-and-collard-greens-4092432.