As of February 2021, Sound Generations has taken on the coordination of Geriatric Mental Health Specialist Workshops. These workshops have previously been coordinated by Karen Kent, LMHC, GMHS and more recently by Terri Haaga, MSW, LICSW, GMHS. These six-hour workshops held once a month provide licensed professionals with the opportunity to earn Continuing Education Units (CEU) and stay up-to-date on best practices in the geriatric mental health field. The classes offered qualify for the 100 hours of training required by the State of Washington for the Geriatric Mental Health Specialist certification. Sound Generations recognizes that maintaining good mental health is a vital part of the aging process and practitioners need to keep abreast of trends and treatment in this field. We want to ensure service providers have access to this valuable information for years to come, so that strong mental health is prioritized among our aging population. Previous workshops have focused on Dementia/Delirium- Diagnosis and Treatment, Alternative Way of Working with Seniors, End of life Conversations, Elder Law and Pharmacology, Caregivers of Older Adults- Conflict and Cooperation, Elder Abuse and Neglect, Older Adult Assessments, Navigating Systems for Elders and more.
We will be taking a break this month, there will be no classes in the month of August.
Stress Reduction and Relaxation Techniques for Older Adults
- Wednesday, September 15th, 9AM – 4PM
- Instructors: Terri Haaga, MSW. LICSW, GMHS and Ryan Larsen, MSW, LICSW, ACHt
- Part one of this course (9 AM- 2 PM), led by Terri Haaga, will provide an overview of Stress, what the common symptoms are, how it can impact older adults and ways to intervene. Time will be spent gaining a basic understanding of the neurobiology of stress and how our clients can become mindful of their stress reactions. Easy to learn stress reduction and mindfulness techniques will be discussed and practiced throughout the course. Case examples will be utilized throughout the class. Part two (2-4 PM), led by Ryan Larsen, will be an introduction to guided meditation and trance. This section is intended to demystify hypnosis and trance states, teach clinicians how to use a trance based approach to help their clients deeply relax, and serve as a step off point for clinicians who want to go deeper into the subject of trance states or even go on to be hypnotherapists.
- CEUS PENDING: 6 Continuing Education credits for social workers, mental health clinicians and marriage and family counselors. Case managers and other service providers are also welcome to attend.
- 6 HOURS: This class will be held on Zoom. The class starts promptly at 9:00 am and concludes at 4:00 pm.
- COST: $115 for the class. You can sign up for these workshop here: https://bit.ly/GMHSworkshop
If online payment doesn’t work for you, please email email@example.com to sign-up and coordinate an alternative payment method.
If you have questions about classes prior to signing up, or are interested in teaching a workshop, please contact Maia McCoy at (206) 727-6258 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will be working with Robin Nelson, LICSW, GMHS who is the clinical supervisor for the GRAT team.