King County Fall Prevention Coalition
Our Why: 46% of all injury -related deaths among King County residents age 60+ are due to unintentional falls. From 2020-2021 there has been a 9% increase in the number of fall-related deaths in this population. Preliminary data shows that the number of fall-related deaths in King County continued to increase through 2021. Falls are clearly a significant issue for older adults, one which has huge costs for individuals, for the healthcare system and our community in general. Falls are preventable.
Our Mission: Reduce falls and fall-related injuries in older adults through community collaboration, awareness, education, and evidence-based interventions
King County Fall Prevention Coalition (KCFPC) was formed in 2017 by community partners in an effort to reduce falls across King County, WA. Representation includes EMS, Hospitals, Housing, Home Health Care agencies, Community Organizations, Fall Prevention Class leaders, Academic Institutions, Public Health leaders and Concerned Citizens in King County. Our community partner Sound Generations provides in kind meeting and website support for our work.
KCFPC will meet 9-10a on the 3rd Friday of the month in 2024 via Zoom. Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a meeting link
Fall Prevention Presentation Options
Looking for a Fall Prevention Presentation to share with your community via video conference or in person?
- Shareable & Scripted Peer-to-Peer Fall Prevention presentation Slidedeck Coming Soon – contact us
- WA AARP Speakers Bureau on Health and Wellness Topics – Fall Prevention Coming Soon
Videos, Webinars & Events
Age Friendly Seattle hosted their monthly Civic Coffee at Southeast Seattle Senior Center during 2023 Fall Prevention Awareness Week. Aging and Disability Services, International Community Health Services, King County Fall Prevention Coalition and Sound Generations were on site for an informative interactive hybrid discussion with live translation. If you weren’t able to attend this Civic Coffee you can watch the recording here: 2023 Fall Prevention Awareness Week Civic Coffee
Northshore Senior Center Fall Prevention screenings and education for fall prevention week, 9/2019
Local fall prevention classes, home safety checklists, videos, self-assessments and more! Check out these resources:
- King County Fall Prevention Resources – Updated August 2023
- Washington Department of Health Fall Prevention Resources
- Harborview Injury Prevention Resource Center Fall Prevention Resources
- WA State Falls Action Plan: FINDING OUR BALANCE
- Traumatic Brain Injury Resources WA
- National Council on Aging Fall Prevention Resource Center
- AARP HomeFit Guide
- Chronic Conditions and Falls Risk: Ear Health
- Fall Prevention Conversation Guide for Caregivers