King County Fall Prevention Coalition
Our Why: 46% of all injury -related deaths among King County residents age 60+ are due to unintentional falls. From 2020-2021 there has been a 9% increase in the number of fall-related deaths in this population. Preliminary data shows that the number of fall-related deaths in King County continued to increase through 2021. Falls are clearly a significant issue for older adults, one which has huge costs for individuals, for the healthcare system and our community in general. Falls are preventable.
Our Mission: Reduce falls and fall-related injuries in older adults through community collaboration, awareness, education, and evidence-based interventions
King County Fall Prevention Coalition (KCFPC) was formed in 2017 by community partners in an effort to reduce falls across King County, WA. Representation includes EMS, Hospitals, Housing, Home Health Care agencies, Community Organizations, Fall Prevention Class leaders, Academic Institutions, Public Health leaders and Concerned Citizens in King County. Our community partner Sound Generations provides in kind meeting and website support for our work.
KCFPC meets 9-10a on the 4th Friday of the month, January – October 2023 via Zoom. Reach out to us at email@example.com to request a meeting link
- Aug 25, 2023, Meeting Notes
- NO MEETING IN SEPT – We will be supporting Fall Prevention Awareness Week Events in the Community. Please take time to complete our KCFPC Engagement Survey by Friday, October 6th – results will be discussed at our next meeting on Friday, October 27th. Thank you to University of Washington Health Promotion Research Center for their survey support!
- Oct 27, 2023, Draft Meeting Agenda
Fall Prevention Presentation Options
Looking for a Fall Prevention Presentation to share with your community via video conference or in person?
- Shareable & Scripted Peer-to-Peer “Create YOUR Falls Free Plan” Slidedeck Coming Soon – contact us
- WA AARP Speakers Bureau on Health and Wellness Topics – Fall Prevention Coming Soon
Videos, Webinars & Events
2023 Fall Prevention Awareness Week Toolkit Falls Prevention Awareness Week, with a theme of “From Awareness to Action,” is September 18-22, 2023
September 2023 AgeWise King County feature: Falls Prevention: From Awareness to Action highlighting KCFPC members Mary Pat O’Leary, RN, BSN, Kele Murdin, PT and the Otago program
Fall Prevention In-Person “Mini Events”: at Burien Community Center: September 14 (Spanish) and September 21 (English) Contact Bo Du, BoD@burienwa.gov for more information
Vibrant Living Health Fair at Northshore Senior Center, Bothell: September 19 10:00a-1:00p Health Screenings and more!
Fall Prevention Day at SnoValley Senior Center, Carnation: September 20th 8:45a- 2:45p Register Start your day with EnhanceFitness class and learn about fall risks and ways to lessen risk including balance and hearing assessments, chair yoga and a decluttering workshop! This is a free event, including lunch!
Live/Livestream: September 26, 10:30 -11:45p Fall Prevention Week Age Friendly Seattle/Presentation and Q&A with KCFPC Interprofessional Panel – Attend in person at South East Seattle Senior Center or online. Open to the public and participation encouraged. Refreshments and light food will be provided by Age Friendly Seattle. Live translation in Amharic and Spanish – more information
Northshore Senior Center Fall Prevention screenings and education for fall prevention week, 9/2019
Local fall prevention classes, home safety checklists, videos, self-assessments and more! Check out these resources:
- King County Fall Prevention Resources – Updated August 2023
- Washington Department of Health Fall Prevention Resources
- Harborview Injury Prevention Resource Center Fall Prevention Resources
- WA State Falls Action Plan: FINDING OUR BALANCE
- Traumatic Brain Injury Resources WA
- National Council on Aging Fall Prevention Resource Center
- AARP HomeFit Guide
- Chronic Conditions and Falls Risk: Ear Health
- Fall Prevention Conversation Guide for Caregivers