Volunteer with Meals on Wheels
As a Meals on Wheels volunteer, you’ll belong to a team committed to helping homebound older adults maintain their health and independence with nutritious food, personal contact, and caring service.
Help us fight hunger in King County by becoming a Meals on Wheels volunteer!
Meals on Wheels Volunteer Positions
- Volunteer Site Coordinators
- Delivery Drivers
- Callers/Office Support
Message from Meals on Wheels
We truly appreciate the community interest in volunteering during this pandemic. At this time, we are not in need of volunteers for the short-term but please continue to check our website for updates. If you are available to volunteer for at least a year, please see our current volunteer opportunities below.
Our other needs right now include monetary donations and in-kind donations of hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, and new grocery size paper bags (handles preferred). Donations can be sent to Sound Generations Meals on Wheels, 2208 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98121. Thank you again for your interest in supporting the work we do!
Current Meals on Wheels Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Packer: Join our team of volunteer packers in Burien on Wednesday mornings. Packing starts at 9 am and goes till 11 am. As a packer you will bag the meals delivered weekly to homebound seniors. When a delivery goes well–drivers leave with the right bags to deliver and clients receive the meals they ordered–it’s you we can thank. Training for this position is provided. We are looking for volunteers who are interested in volunteering longer term.
- Volunteer Office Support/ Back-up Caller: Put your organizational skills to work…Meals on Wheels in Burien is in need of a Volunteer to work independently for 1 hour on Monday morning. A typical day includes, checking client orders, printing paperwork and general prep for the week to keep Meals on Wheels humming along on schedule. As part of this position, you will also be a back-up caller on Wednesdays- you would fill in as needed to call clients and place orders when one of our weekly callers is away. Training for this position is provided. This position requires availability on Mondays (about an hour) and the occasional Wednesday, 8 am – 12:30 pm. We are looking for someone interested in volunteering longer term.
We also have several other programs here at Sound Generations that need volunteers. You can find information here.
Other Ways To Support Meals on Wheels
You can get involved in more ways than one. Leverage your network by fundraising online for Sound Generations! We have a free fundraising toolkit to get your started on your fundraising journey.
Make Cards for Meals on Wheels Recipients
A hand-made card from a caring person can really brighten an older adult’s day. Whether you’re looking for something to do on a rainy day or planning an activity for your youth group or office, all you need is your creativity, some paper, and any other art supplies you have. Remember to make your cards general enough, so they will suit any recipient. You can write messages like, “Have a good day”, “Happy spring or fall”, and/or include an inspirational quote or silly joke. You could also share something about yourself, like where you are from.
- Please no glitter or “get well” messages.
- Envelopes are not necessary. If included, please do not seal them.
- Please mail cards to our main downtown office: Sound Generations Meals On Wheels, 2208 2nd Ave Ste 100, Seattle, WA 98121.
Host a Party to Benefit Meals on Wheels
Do-Good parties are an excellent way to promote giving, service, and helping others, all while having a blast. You can even combine this with card making for Meals on Wheels recipients! If it’s a birthday party or other event where people may typically bring a gift, consider asking guests to make a donation to Meals on Wheels in lieu of a present.
We’d love to hear how your party went. Pictures or stories about your event can be sent to email@example.com, or you can tag us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! Don’t worry about size or money raised – every bit helps us bring service to marginalized and underserved older adults.
Responses from Clients
“To all the volunteers/staff [at] Sound Generations. I would like to thank you all for caring. I really appreciate what you’re doing and having an organization like Meals on Wheels. I got back my health… I hope I can give back someday. Thanks again to all of you. You’re all wonderful.”– Rosalind, Meals On Wheels Client
“Thank you for this service. I just received my first order today. Excellent service from the coordinators and the volunteer delivery folks…. I’m recovering from surgery, and it was difficult for me to fix something to eat. Thank you, Meals on Wheels. You made life so much easier for me.”– Irene, Meals On Wheels Client