- 1/4 cup melted shortening, divided
- 2 cups white or yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Butter, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Position the rack in the center of the oven.
- Brush about 1 tablespoon of melted shortening in a 9- to 10-inch cast-iron skillet and put the skillet in the oven.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to blend thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of melted shortening.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until blended. Carefully remove the hot cast iron pan from the oven and set it on a metal rack. Pour the batter into the sizzling shortening in the hot skillet.
- Return the skillet to the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 375 F, and bake for 20 to 24 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cut the cornbread into wedges and serve hot with a pat of butter, if desired.